17 Incredible Facts About WhatsApp
1. WhatsApp founded in 2009 by
formerYahoo! employees Brian Acton
and Jan Koum .
2. Sequoia Capital invested $8
million in 2011
3. 70% of users are active on a daily
4. WhatsApp says they are adding 1
million users everyday.
5. They currently employ 50 people.
6. 32 engineers working on
WhatsApp, i.e. one engineer is
responsible for 14 million active
7. 400 million active users in
8. Rising to 450 million active users
according to Facebook’s press
9. The app is the 5th most
downloaded app on Android .
10. WhatsApp doesn’t sell ads and
zero have appeared on the app
11. Twitter and Facebook had the
chance to hire founder Brian Acton
12. The total value of the deal: $19
Billion ($4 billion in cash, $12
billion in stock, and $3 billion in
restricted stock) .
13. $1 Billion Break-up fee should
the deal not go through.
14. Jan Koum keeps a note from
Brian taped to his desk that reads
“No Ads! No Games! No Gimmicks!”
To keep them focused on building a
pure messaging experience.
15. WhatsApp spent ZERO cash on
marketing, PR and user acquisition.
16. WhatsApp’s messaging volume is
approaching the entire global
telecom SMS volume
17. On Dec 31st 2013 users sent a
total 54 billion messages during the
day (3x increase from 2012).